Well, hello there! I have missed being on here and I just wanted to check in to say hello and give an update on what’s been going on around our homestead. So much has happened in the last several months since my last post. Here is the gist of our last 6 months or so…
- We ended up moving our farm animals (goats & chickens) to a couple different friend’s properties temporarily. In doing so, we had the experience of having a long distance farm and having to care for our animals daily by driving to where they were at (2 different locations) to feed them, lock them up for night, check for eggs, and care for them. We did this for approximately 6 months.
- We ended up giving a friend our beautiful heritage ducks. We did so because this was one of our friends that allowed us to keep our animals (chickens specifically) on their property and who is also a duck lover, so I was happy to give them to him and his family for being so kind to offer his property for our chickens to board at. Plus, they have a huge lake and taking the ducks away from there would not have been in their best interest I felt.
- We had our first goat breeding in August.
- Homeschool has been going on in full gear and we have really been enjoying the resources we are using this year. We are having such a mild winter here so school has continued to happen outdoors quite a bit.
- Life with a baby (now 10 months old!) has been busy, but pure bliss.
- Our first goat breeding was successful and our Mini Nubian, Sierra, gave birth to 2 adorable bucklings on January 4th, so we have our first baby goats on the farm! I was really hoping to get at least one doeling, but that’s ok because we will have plenty of other opportunities.
- We got a new kitten for the farm because you know, a farm isn’t complete without a barn kitty.
- In more recent news, we have moved! We left our bigger home in the city (my parents & family are now renting it from us) for a tiny home on big land in the country. We are now on 37 acres and have our goats and chickens back with us so no more traveling to care for them everyday. We do plan to get more ducks this spring.
So that’s it! We have had a busy last several months. I’m excited about this new chapter for our family and I will definitely be posting about our adventures here.